HistoryHistory of Preston 
A history of Preston must start with Prestonwood Country Club which was started by Murray Savings and Loans, a company based in Cary, North Carolina. The club opened in 1988 with a basic pool and fitness center. That summer the club debuted three 9-hole courses for their members. The club ran into a standstill for a short period of time as Murray Savings and Loans went under during the savings and loan crisis of 1989-1990. This resulted in the government placing Prestonwood Country Club in the hands of the Resolution Trust Corporation. The RTC was set up to help liquidate real estate and financial institutions that it acquired from companies that were going under. In the case of Prestonwood Country Club, Don Thomas, the General Manager of the club, stepped in to work with the RTC under the conditions that if the country club did not progress, the RTC would step in and shut it down.
Prestonwood Country Club was able to prosper and eventually was bought by James Goodnight and three co-owners of SAS in 1991. As the economy moved out of the recession, the owners decided to expand Prestonwood's residential status by building more houses and roads. Preston has since developed into a full residential community.
By early 1996, the club had expanded to include 54 holes of golf and the community expanded to thirty three individual communities under the management of Preston Community Association and seven more communities each with it’s own Homeowners Association.
History of Cary 
age-Walker Hotel (now local history museum).
Today's Cary began in 1750 as a settlement called Bradford's Ordinary. About 100 years later, the construction of the North Carolina Railroad between New Bern and Hillsborough went through the town, linking Bradford's Ordinary to a major transportation route.
Allison Francis "Frank" Page is credited with founding the town. Page was a Wake County farmer and lumberman. He and his wife, Catherine "Kate" Raboteau Page bought 300 acres (1.2 km2) surrounding the railroad junction in 1854 and named his development Cary, after Samuel Fenton Cary (a former Ohio congressman and prohibitionist he admired). Page became a railroad agent and a town developer. He laid out the first streets in Cary and built a sawmill, a general store and a post office (Page became the first Postmaster). In 1868, Page built a hotel to serve railroad passengers coming through Cary. Cary was incorporated on April 6, 1871, with Page becoming the first mayor.
In 1879, the Raleigh and Augusta Air-Line Railroad (later the Seaboard, now CSX Transportation) arrived in Cary from the southwest, creating Fetner Junction just north of downtown and spurring further growth.
In the early years Cary adopted zoning and other ordinances on an ad-hoc basis to control growth and give the town structure.
Beginning in 1971, the town created Planned Unit Development (PUD) zoning to accommodate population growth related to the growth of Research Triangle Park nearby. A PUD allows a developer to plan an entire community before beginning development, thus allowing future residents to be aware of where churches, schools, commercial and industrial areas will be located well before such use begins.
Kildaire Farms, a 967-acre (3.9 km2) Planned Unit Development in Cary, was North Carolina's first PUD. It was developed on the Pine State Dairy Farm by Thomas F. Adams, Jr. Adams named a section of Kildaire Farms "Farmington Woods" in their honor. The local government has placed a high value on creating an aesthetically pleasing town. see more
 From Wikipedia